0

1. Accepting Islam

One of the blessings that Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) bestowed upon 'Ali ibn Abi Taib (radhyAllahu ‘anhu), and what Allah willed for him of good, was that a severe crisis befell Quraysh. Ahu Tab had many children, and the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said to his paternal uncle al-'Abbas – who was one of the most well off of Banu Quraysh - "O 'Abbas, your brother Ahu Talib has many children, and you see what has happened to the people in this crisis. Let us go and reduce the number of his dependents; I will take one from his family and you will take one, and we will take care of them for him." Al-'Abbas agreed, so they went to Abu Talib and said to him: "We want to reduce the number of your dependents until this crisis has passed." He said to them: "If you leave me 'Aqeel, then do whatever you want." So the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) took 'Ali home, and al-'Abbas took Ja'far (radhyAllahu ‘anhu). 'Ali ibn Abi Talib (radhyAllahu ‘anhu) stayed with the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) until his prophethood, then 'Ali (radhyAllahu ‘anhu) followed him and believed in him.

Ja'far (radhyAllahu ‘anhu) stayed with al-'Abbas until he became Muslim and no longer needed his help.

We may note that the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) wanted to pay back the kindness of his uncle Abu Talib, who had sponsored him after the death of his grandfather 'Abdul-Muttalib. This was one of the greatest blessings that Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) bestowed upon 'Ali (radhyAllahu ‘anhu), as he was raised and educated by the one who was guided by Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala). The one whose attitude was the Qur'an looked after him and took care of him. This Qur'anic attitude was reflected in 'Ali (radhyAllahu ‘anhu), and it was enough that he was raised by the Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam). He grew up in the house of Islam and learned its teachings at an early stage in his life, before the call of Islam went beyond the walls of the house to seek followers who would support it and propagate it among other people, bringing them forth from darkness to light. The scholars differed as to the next person who believed in Islam after Khadeejah bint Khuwaylid (radhyAllahu ‘anha), the Mother of the Believers, who was the first of all the people. Was the next person Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq or 'Ali (radhyAllahu ‘anhuma)? The scholarly view, which I am inclined to favour, is that the first one to become Muslim among free men was Ahu Bakr, the first child to do so was 'Ali, the first woman to do so was Khadeejah, and the first slave to believe was Zayd ibn Harithah (radhyAllahu ‘anhum). Thus Amir a-lMu'mineen 'Ali (radhyAllahu ‘anhu) was the first child to become Muslim. ..

2. How did 'Ali become Muslim?

Ibn Ishaq narrated that 'Ali ibn Abi Talib (radhyAllahu ‘anhu) came to the Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) after Khadeejah (radhyAllahu ‘anha) became Muslim, and he found them praying. 'Ali (radhyAllahu ‘anhu) said: What is this, O Muhammad?" The Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: "The religion of Allah, which He has chosen for Himself, with which He sent His Messengers; I call you to Allah alone and to worship Him, and to disbelieve in al-Lat and al-'Uzza." 'Ali said to him: This is something that I have never heard of before today; I will not decide anything until I speak to Ahu Talib.

The Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) did not want to disclose his secret before he announced it openly, so he said to him: "O 'Ali, if you do not become Muslim, then keep quiet about it." He remained like that for a night, then Allah (Subhanahu waTa’ala) caused his heart to incline towards Islam, so in the morning he went to the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) and said: What did you offer to me, O Muhammad? The Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: "That you should hear witness that there is no god except Allah 1%) alone, with no partner or associate, and disbelieve in al-Lat and al-'Uzza, and disavow yourself of the rivals (to Allah)." 'Ali (radhyAllahu ‘anhu) did that and became Muslim, and he kept coming to him (the Prophet) fearing that Ahu Talib would find out. He concealed his Islam and did not show it openly.

3. Between 'Ali (radhyAllahu ‘anhu) and Abu Talib

Ibn Ishaq said: Some scholars have stated that when the time for prayer came, the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) would go out to a mountain pass of Makkah, and 'Ali ibn Abi Talib would accompany him, concealing the matter from his father Ahu Talib, all his uncles and all the people. They would offer the prayers there and come back in the evening. This continued for as long as Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta’ala) willed, until Ahu Talib came upon them one day while they were praying, and he said to the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam): "O son of my brother, what is this religion that you are following?" He replied: "O uncle, this is the religion of Allah, the religion of His angels, the religion of His Messengers and the religion of our father Ibraheem. He has sent me as a Messenger to the people and you, O uncle, are the most deserving of my sincere advice and my call to guidance; you are the most deserving to respond and help me with that." Ahu Talib said: "O son of my brother, I cannot leave the religion of my forefathers and the way they followed, but no harm will reach you so long as I am alive." They said that he said to 'Ali: "O my son, what is this religion that you are following?" He said: "O my father, I believe in Allah and the Messenger of Allah, and I believe what he has brought. I prayed with him to Allah, and I followed him." And they said that Abu Talib said to 'Ali: "He is calling you to something good, so follow him.”

4. Did 'Ali (radhyAllahu’anhu) break the idols with the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) in Makkah?

It was narrated that 'Ali (radhyAllahu ‘anhu) said: The Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) and I set out and went to the Ka'bah. The Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said: "Sit down," and he climbed on my shoulders and I wanted to stand up with him on my shoulders, but he realised that I was weak, so he got down. The Prophet of Allah ((sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam)) sat down and said: "Climb on my shoulders." I climbed on his shoulders, and he stood up with me on his shoulders, and I felt that I could reach the farthest horizon in the sky. I climbed up on top of the House, where there was a statue of gold or copper. I started shaking it right and left, forwards and backwards, until I was in full control of it. The Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said to me: "Throw it down." So I threw it down and it broke like a glass bottle, then I came down, and the Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) and I rushed away until we hid among the houses, lest anyone find [80] us. The chain of narration of this hadith is weak, and we cannot base any ruling on it as some people claim. The basic principle during the Makkah period remains that the Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) did not allow the Companions to use force with their opponents or commit any act of aggression against their idols and statues. The Messenger of Allah (sallAllahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) purified Makkah of idols at the time of the conquest, and sent expeditions after that great conquest to destroy idols and purify the Arabian Peninsula of the sites of polytheism and false gods, after he became able to remove them and destroy them.

Post a Comment

 
Top